Monday 31 October 2011

Handmade Monday: Poppies, gizmos and more wire work


Gothic blue jewellery setAre you bored with the wire work yet?  I know I keep posting about it but I can't get enough of it.  This week I finished this set where each bead is caged in twisted wire.  I hand twisted the wire (me and power tools would be a dangerous combination!) and the spirals so the set literally took hours.  Decided not to sell them as the time they took would make them so expensive, and there's always a chance that the twisted wire might snap on knitwear - I wouldn't want to be responsible for ruining someones warm woollen sweater!  Those are just excuses because I want to wear the set myself ;-)  I did make an extra pair of earrings - they'll be going in the shop soon.

Also this week, I invested in a wire coiling gizmo machine.  What an excellent toy!  I can now waste hours at the table turning the handle until I'm mesmerised!  The first real results are these earrings.  I thought the coiled wire looked a bit festive, so I added ruby and green chrysocolla rondelles.  What do you think?






I always like to support the poppy appeal, but at the moment haven't ventured into brooches.  So thinking outside the box, I had a go at some poppy earrings in ruby red jade, onyx and emerald.  They don't lie flat - naughty little gemstones! - but that does give them a quirky little 3D feel!  There's a donation to the Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal with each purchase too, so you can wear these poppies with pride.  Why have one poppy when you can have two?!



Quite a busy week, and I managed to fit in a project management exam as well.  Actually most of these makes were a diversion from revising for that exam if I'm honest.  So if I haven't passed, at least I have something to show for it!!!


Here's the link to see what others handmade crafters have been doing this week.

13 comments:

  1. I love the jewellery in the top photo and the poppies are gorgeous, in fact I love all of them! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your jewellery makes are lovely, your coiling gizmo machine looks like alot of fun and gives such a great effect. And poppies!! Yes you and I had the same idea this week didn't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely jewellery - that wire-wrapped necklace set is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh what an exciting post, I can imaging spending hours playing with the wire coiling machine producing miles of little coils. And I love the earrings, SO pretty. Alas they would match nothing in my wardrobe being a blue?purple person but I'm sure they'll be snapped up by a discerning buyer.
    Penny (Planet Penny)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow lovely jewellery - especially the top pic (the blue colour is gorgeous!) Lucky you have a new toy! Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, each thing is as beautiful as the next! I love them all. WOW! Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. IU can see why you wouldn't want to part with the necklace. All that twisted wire. It really is lovely and those poppy earings are pure gems. Hugs Mrs A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your poppy earrings and your wirework is fantastic - no wonder your hooked!

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  9. not surprised you're keeping that neckalce it is gorgeous, and I love the poppies

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I love finding new craft gizmos to play with. Sounds like you have hours of fun ahead of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely jewellery, gorgeous colours - especially like the poppies.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your designs ar nice.... I live Yur gizmo design too...I started learning wireworks recently so I wud start by practicing wid Yur work...really encouraging.....good work

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts here - the more, the merrier! I've had to enable word verification because of the amount of spam comments - sorry, I know it's a pain!

Related Posts with Thumbnails